Cauliflower Protein Brownies
Serves 9 | Prep Time – 20 minutes, Baking Time - 20 minutes | Skill – Simple
Everyone loves a brownie and I've written a few brownie recipes in my time, but these are based on a traditional recipe with a twist. I'm sure the Cauliflower Brownie can become the new Sweet Potato Brownie! These are a fabulously unconventional way of using up leftover cauliflower and can be included in your Prep Night routine to reduce waste, the Honestly Healthy in a Hurry way! Tash x
180g cauliflower florets
80ml coconut oil or vegan butter
170g coconut blossom syrup
100g gluten-free plain flour
60g raw cacao powder
20g vegan protein powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 tbsp vanilla extract
60g pecans, roughly chopped (optional)
for the cashew butter swirl (optional):
30g cashew butter
30ml agave syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and line a square 20cm brownie tin with baking parchment.
- Steam the cauliflower florets over a medium heat until soft –this should take around 5–6 minutes. Once it has cooled a little, put the cauliflower into a blender. Melt the coconut oil or butter and add with the syrup, then blitz together to make a smooth purée. Set aside.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and vanilla extract together.
- Stir the cauliflower purée through the egg mixture and whisk until thoroughly combined. Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet, adding the chopped pecans at the end if you are opting to include them. Pour the mixture into your lined brownie tin.
- To make the cashew swirl, stir together the cashew butter and agave syrup with 1 teaspoon water. Drizzle over the top of the brownie mixture and swirl using a teaspoon.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until a skewer inserted into a brownie comes out clean, though still a little moist.