Top Tips to loose weight
1. Portion size, portion size, portion size. It sounds simple, but your meal should fit in your cupped hands. Think of your cupped hands as a plate and that’s the amount of food you should eat for one meal.
2. Don’t eat more than two grain dishes a week. Grains are carbohydrates and as good as they are for cleansing the gut they are also slightly acidic. If you’re trying to get bikini ready you need to clean out your diet as much as possible. Eat plenty of green vegetables, leaves and sprouts to fill your plate.
3. Say no to the white stuff. Without being too dramatic, white bread, pasta and sugars are evil. As soon as you start eating them your body will crave more. Swap them for red or brown rice, quinoa or amaranth and if you need your sugar kick (don’t we all) try coconut palm sugar or sweet freedom.
4. Kick the coffee habit. For a nice change try barley coffee or rooibos tea.
5. Eat little and often. Try and eat three meals and two snacks a day - keeping your blood-sugar levels even is very important to curbing those cravings.
6. Plan your meals. Planning your meals in advance will mean you’re never left hungry and diving for the cookie cupboard.
7. Drink hot water and lemon every day, to help bring your acidity levels down. Our bodies function best when in an overall alkaline state, and yet much of our current eating trends and diets are very acid-forming in the body, leading to internal stress on the digestive and other systems.
8. Get active. You don’t have to run a marathon every day, but try to do high intensity exercise for 30 minutes at least three times a week.
9. Drink plenty of water. We hear it all the time, but when you are de-hydrated you feel hungry. So get a litre bottle and drink at least the whole bottle each day. If you do find yourself on the loo all the time add a splash of apple juice, which will help your cells absorb the water.
10. Take supplements to support you. A simple multi-vitamin, omega oils and L-carnitine.