ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS – ESSENTIAL FOR BETTER SKIN
This month, we are celebrating all things Chia. These little seeds are like magic for our bodies, helping us out in all sorts of ways. We have teamed up with The Chia Co
to give you some expert advice on why you should be having Chia every day, with our first feature focusing on why Chia is so brilliant for our skin.
Skin nutrition starts from within and while we know drinking water keeps us hydrated, it's equally important to keep our cells hydrated to help nourish skin from the inside. Essential fatty acids or EFAs and are quite literally ‘essential’ because our bodies can’t produce them, so we must obtain them from the food we eat. As EFAs control a large number of functions that impact on skin nutrition, it’s important we include them in our diet to give our skin the greatest chance of looking its best.
Omega 3 ALA is a plant based source of EFA that can be found in seeds such as Chia. Chia seeds also contain other nutrients such as protein, fibre and antioxidants which are great for skin nutrition.
Here’s why Chia seeds are so good for skin nutrition :
- Enhances moisture retention and helps promotes skin hydration at a cellular level to boost skin suppleness.
- Chia’s rich source of protein aids in skin cell regeneration and tissue repair, as protein contributes to the formulation of collagen and elastin.
- Fibre promotes the healthy appearance of skin from the inside out, removing toxins from the body and aiding the absorption of antioxidants and vitamins.
- Chia is an excellent source of antioxidants, gram for gram providing four times the antioxidant power of fresh blueberries.
Adding Australian grown Chia to your diet is an excellent way to harness the power of good nutrition
to complement your daily skincare regime.
Just one tablespoon provides 100% of your recommended daily allowance of plant based Omega 3. The tiny Chia seed is hugely nutritious also providing 20% protein and 25% fibre of your daily allowance.
Or if you’re looking for wholefood nutrition on the go, grab a Chia Pod
– Banana, Mango, Blueberry or Vanilla Bean. Each one contains real fruit, coconut milk and a full serve of Chia seed and no added sugar, otherwise try making something similar at home with our Layered Breakfast Pot
Keep an eye out for more Chia features over the coming month and make sure you enter our competition for a chance to win 3 months supply of Chia products from The Chia Co and a copy of the first Honestly Healthy cookbook.
Check out The Chia Co store locator for where their products are available across the world.
Article by Dr Emma Morris - practicing dietician for The Chia Co.