Mushroom & Goats Cheese Pancakes With Kale & Cashew Pesto
Serves: 3-4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 10 minutes | Cooking Skills: Simple
"I love a pancake! They are a great alternative to a gluten free wrap, so you can take them to work with you; a alternative healthy lunch idea. The kale, cashew pesto is packed full of protein and you can use this recipe to mix through quinoa, rice or pasta as well. Kids love this one too!" Tash x
For the pancakes:125g gluten free plain flour
250ml almond milk or rice milk
Coconut oil for the pan
For the Kale & Cashew Pesto:50g kale
1 small clove garlic (1/2 a large clove)
45g raw cashew nuts
Juice 1/4 lemon
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
For the filling:1 red onion, sliced
1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp sunflower oil
3 large portobello mushrooms
130g cherry tomatoes
Pinch salt & fresh black pepper
Squeeze of lemon
- Start by making the pancake batter. Put the flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg in a separate bowl, and then drop it into the well in the flour. Whisk the mixture together as you gradually add the almond milk. Once you have combined all of the ingredients, the mixture should be quite runny. Leave it to rest for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for the pesto, put all of the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until smooth. Add a little more lemon juice and season to taste. Set aside.
- Place the sliced onion, garlic and sunflower oil in a pan and saute on a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft. Add a splash of water if the pan gets too hot.
- Slice the portobello mushrooms lengthways and add them to the onions with the tomatoes and toss for 2-3 minutes until soft and juicy.
- When the mushrooms are almost done, add the spinach and stir through until wilted. Remove from the heat while you prepare your pancakes.
- In a shallow frying pan, melt about 1/4 tsp coconut oil on a medium heat.
- When the pan is quite hot, dollop in about a ladleful of the pancake mixture and tilt the pan around until the batter is evenly and thinly distributed. Cook until the underside is golden brown, flip and repeat on the other side.
- To serve, spread a tablespoon of the pesto over the pancake, pile on the mushroom mixture and then crumble over the goats cheese. Roll up the pancake and serve hot with a side of green salad and tahini dressing.
Shop your pancake ingredients here: