Beetroot, Chia & Coconut Crusted Tart
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes | Cooking Skills: Tricky
This recipe comes as part of a series of recipes that we developed for The Chia Co and has the most beautifully crumbly gluten free pastry base. I love this tart with a vibrant green salad and a zingy dressing while it will certainly impress any guests who come over for lunch or dinner!
For the Pastry:2 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp water
1 egg, whisked
200g gluten free flour (I like Doves or Bobs Mill)
¼ tsp Himalayan salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
6 tbsp solid coconut oil
For the Filling:440g raw beetroot, cut into small half moons about 1inch long
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp chia or olive oil
1 spring onion, thinly sliced
3g fresh rosemary
Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C and grease an 8 inch tart tin with coconut or sunflower oil.
- Make the pastry by soaking the chia seeds in the water and whisked egg for 5 minutes while you weigh out the flour. Mix together the gluten free flour, salt and xanthan gum, followed by the egg and chia mixture until it becomes a crumb like consistency. Then with your hands, massage in the solid coconut oil until it comes together into a ball of dough.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of clingfilm by placing the dough in the middle of one sheet and pushing it down so flattens. Cover the dough with another layer of clingfilm and roll it out with a rolling pin until you get a circle that is large enough to line the base of the tin and go up the sides too.
- Take the top layer of clingflim off and then flip the dough onto the tart tin, being careful it doesn’t tear. Push the dough down on to the bottom of the tin, pushing it into the corners and groves and up the sides. Press the excess pastry off that is hanging over the edge of the tin and neaten the edges with your fingers.
- Chop the beetroot and put onto a tray with the garlic and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and pinch of salt. Put into the oven for 30 minutes while putting the empty tart case in the oven at the same time for 30 minutes.
- Take the tart case out and fill the bottom with raw spinach and place the cooked beetroot and garlic over the top. Sprinkle the spring onions over the top and drizzle with1 tbsp of olive oil, finishing with the sprigs of rosemary. Put back into the oven for a further 10 minutes or until the spinach wilts then serve with a fresh salad.