The Alkaline Way To Lower Cholesterol
Your body is always ridding itself of acid build up through urination, perspiration, respiration and defecation. However, when the build up of acid gets too high, the body needs to preserve itself so the liver produces cholesterol to manage any excessive amounts. The liver is literally doing this to protect itself from the toxic effects of the acid. We all have rather a negative outlook on cholesterol, but without it in the modern world we
simply would not survive.
With acid laden diets our cholesterol is the only thing helping us to balance our pH levels. It is not the cholesterol itself that causes heart attacks and strokes, it is the acidic ingredients that we are consuming - cholesterol is just a signifier that acidity levels are too high. As I am sure you can then imagine, lowering your cholesterol through drugs is not really the best way to go about things.
If you have high cholesterol, try to make your diet as alkaline as possible. Here is how:
1. Try to remove all processed foods from your diets. They are the number one cause of high cholesterol.
2. Eliminate sugar from your diet, and most importantly refined sugar. Don't forget that fruit also contains sugar so try to limit this to your 30% (read more on this here)
. Lemons, limes and grapefruits are considered alkaline though so these can be included.
3. Eat lots and lots of green leafy vegetables and include them in your juices & smoothies
too. It's the chlorophyll that we need, the green juice that is like the blood of the plant which nourishes us deeply from within, fighting not only high cholesterol but numerous other ailments too.
4. Drink lots of water. We are 70% water so it is really important to keep hydrated. Green juices are a fantastic source of vital nutrients, electrolytes and hydration which are very easily absorbed so have lots of these along with your alkaline water.
5. Get a good dose of essential fats every day. Don't be put off by the word 'fats' here, focus on the word 'essential'. 20% of your calories should come from essential fats - think hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds
, avocados, nuts, evening primrose oil, olives, olive oil and all types of seeds. Essential Fatty Acids (EFA's) are the very building blocks of our cells and they strengthen us from within.
6. Exercise is crucial in an alkaline diet and if you have high cholesterol then you really need to be getting moving for at least 30 minutes a day.
Try our super alkaline green smoothie recipe to get you going.