Wild Mushroom & Millet Risotto
"I made this recipe for a great friend of mine, she told me that one of her favourite things to eat was a mushroom risotto but that she would love to discover a healthier way to cook it. Up for a challenge I created this without the butter, cheese and wine that you would often find in a normal risotto. My version is a far healthier option with a powerful a punch in the flavour department!" Tash x
Ingredients2 shallots or ½ red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
½ tsp ground coriander
1 tbsp coconut oil
750ml water mixed with 1 tbsp vegetable Bouillon powder
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
200g of wild or Portobello mushrooms
6g fresh coriander or parsley
- In a pan sauté the shallots, garlic and ground coriander in the coconut oil for 3 minutes. Add the millet and stir continuously for 2 minutes to allow a nutty flavour to develop. Add half of the stock to the pan and leave on a medium heat. After 4 minutes, dice half of the mushrooms and add them to the pan.
- Add another 100ml of the stock and leave to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Once the stock starts to get absorbed again add the remaining amount and leave to cook for another 12 minutes or until the millet is soft.
- Add the rest of the mushrooms (apart from 5-6 for garnish) the nutritional yeast and the apple cider vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes. Season with pink salt and cracked pepper to taste.
- Slice and fry off the remaining mushrooms in 1 tsp of coconut oil for 2 minutes or until soft.
- Finally stir in the chopped fresh coriander and nutritional yeast and serve with the remaining mushrooms over the top.