Lose Weight this Summer with Acupuncture - By Kate Winstanley
Beat the Bloat, Cut the Cravings and Ditch the Stress!
As summer approaches and it gets to bikini time I am regularly asked “Can Acupuncture can help me lose weight?” My answer is - Acupuncture treatment is great at addressing the specific physical and emotional barriers preventing you from losing weight.
Let’s start with Digestion. All healthy weight loss starts with a healthy digestion. Many of us put up with symptoms such as bloating, constipation and tiredness after eating. These are signs that your digestive system is not working efficiently. A slow, sluggish digestive system leads to weight gain. It doesn’t have to be this way.
How does Acupuncture help weight loss? I start by strengthening the digestion. By stimulating specific Acupuncture points I trigger the body’s healing response. Bloating and constipation reduce so you have a flatter tummy and bags of energy. This kick-starts the weight loss process. I then address your specific reasons for weight gain, often using easy to reach Acupuncture points on the outer ear.
1. Reduced Cravings A weak, tired digestion will crave sugar and foods that will store as fat. A strong, healthy digestion will crave foods that nourish. Stimulation of the Acupuncture point which directly reduces the appetite is used.
2. Reduced Comfort Eating Sometimes we try to eat away our problems. Acupuncture is hugely beneficial at addressing emotional eating. Here I use Acupuncture points that stimulate endorphins (happy hormones).
3. Increased Metabolism When our digestive organs are functioning properly, our metabolism increases so you burn more calories and lose weight.
4. No ‘Time of the Month’ weight gain If you are one of us who is hungry before and during your period I use Acupuncture points to balance the endocrine system (hormones) and reduce water retention. Nb. Another positive side effect is that PMT and cramps will also become a thing of the past!
5. Reduced Stress Many of us are in a constant state of low-grade stress which means there is too much cortisol (the stress hormone) in our systems. This reduces the efficacy of our digestive system and leads to weight gain. Acupuncture points, particularly the point for the adrenal glands, is proven to stimulate an area of the brain which decreases cortisol production and increase endorphins. Studies conclude that “acupuncture does boost weight loss” (BMJ journal Acupuncture in Medicine). Acupuncture treatment, together with a healthy alkaline diet, will get you back to the best, happiest and slimmest you can be!
My little tip outside of Acupuncture: A simple way to strengthen your digestive fire. To breakdown food our tummies need warmth. So to aid the digestive process it is a good idea to drink warm water instead of cold water straight from the tap or fridge. This is a simple step that my patients have found makes a massive improvement. Article by Acupuncturist, Kate Winstanley http://www.katewinstanley.com