Healthy Mini Pizzas
Serves: 4 | Prep time: 20 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Cooking Skills: Moderate
Healthy Mini Pizzas, I make this recipe all the time at home and instead of splitting it into 4 mini pizzas, I often make one big one. You can play around with the toppings and add whatever you or your kids might like. This dough works so incredibly well and takes two seconds to make. Don't be put off by the soaked ground chia - it works amazingly and you will soon realise that is natures best little cooking secret. If you don't have ground chia you could use ground flax seed instead - both you can whizz up in a good blender to a fine powder.
Base:250g ground almonds
1 tbsp ground chia seeds
4 tbsp water
Pinch of Himalayan salt
1 tbsp sunflower oil
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic
200g cherry tomatoes sliced
¼ cup water
3 tbsp water
Mozzarella, cherry tomatoes, grilled asparagus, fresh peas or a topping of your choice
- Soak the ground chia seeds in the water and mix together to create a paste.
- Pre-heat oven to 175 deg fan
- Weigh out the ground almonds and add a pinch of salt to the mixture. Mix in the chia paste and massage in with your finger tips so it’s completely incorporated and turns into a dough.
- Split the dough into 4 balls and push each one down onto a piece of baking paper with your fingers so it becomes a flat circle about 3mm thick. Pop them into the oven for 15 minutes or until they just start to turn golden brown and become hard to touch.
- While they are in the oven make your tomato sauce. In a frying pan put the sunflower oil, red onion and garlic and sauté on a medium heat for 2 minutes. Next add 3 tbsp of water and continue to sauté until the water is absorbed. Add the tomatoes and a further ¼ cup of water and leave to reduce for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Take off the heat when the tomatoes have broken down and it is a nice thick sauce.
- Take the pizza bases out the oven and spoon the tomato sauce over each base then add your toppings of choice.
- Put the mozzarella on first then the vegetables over the top. Put back into the oven for 3-5 minutes until the cheese has melted. Then serve immediately to the little or big kids at the table!