Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 60 minutes | Cooking Skills: Moderate
This recipe comes from our first cookbook 'Honestly Healthy, Eat With Your Body In Mind, The Alkaline Way' and is such a favourite for so many of you that we thought we would share it on the site for all to enjoy. Happy baking!
Ingredients280g (9 1/2oz/2 1/4 cups) wholegrain spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
130g (4 1/2oz/scant 2 2/3 cups) desiccated coconut
75g (3oz/scant 1/3 cup) goats or vegan butter, plus extra for greasing
150g (5oz/scant 1/2 cup) agave syrup
300ml (1/2 pint/scant 11/4 cups) brown rice milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Grease a small (19.8 x 8.5cm) tin with goats or vegan butter
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and desiccated coconut in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, cream the goats butter with the agave syrup. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla, and then stir well to combine. Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin and bake for about 1 hour. The loaf will rise slightly and should have a golden crust. To test whether it is cooked, insert the tip of a sharp knife or a skewer into the centre of the loaf. If it comes out clean, the loaf is ready. Cover the loaf with tin foil, if the top looks as though it is turning a little too dark but the centre is not yet cooked.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Shop your Coconut Bread ingredients in the Marketplace: