High Energy Sticky Seed Flapjacks
"With all the nuts and seeds it is a fantastic high energy snack. Kids love them too!" Tash x
175g (6oz/1cup) chopped pitted dates
450ml (3/4 pint/scant 2 cups) water
150g 95oz/1 cup) raw cashews
150g (5oz/1 cup raw hazelnuts
300g (10oz/3 1/3 cups) gluten free jumbo rolled oats
150g (5oz/1 cup) raw pumpkin seeds
150g (5oz/1cup) raw sunflower seeds
475g (15oz/scant1 1/3 cups) agave syrup or raw runny honey
75g (30z/1/2 cup) mixed raw pumpkin, sunflower and sesame seeds for the topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C
- Place the dates and 225ml (7 1/2 fl oz/scant 1 cup) of the water in a pan, bring to the boil, then simmer until the dates are soft. Transfer to a blender, whizz to a paste and decant to a large mixing bowl.
- Place the cashews and hazelnuts into a blender with the remaining water and whizz until a smooth cream. Add to the bowl with the dates.
- Place the oats, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds in a food processor and pulse for about 1 minute, or until roughly chopped. Add these to the mixture in the bowl. Stir in the agave syrup or raw honey and mix thoroughly.
- Transfer the mixture to a baking tray lined with baking parchment and spread out the mixture to a thickness of 1-2cm. Sprinkle with the mixed seeds and bake for 20 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool in the baking tray and then cut into slices.