English Vegetable Crumble
"If you want to impress your mates bring this dish out, it smells and tastes utterly delicious. If some of the vegetables are not in season then you can use what you have in the fridge, think root veg as these will take the right amount of time to cook." Tash x
Filling:20g goats or vegan butter
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 leek, finely chopped
100g celeriac, cut into 2cm cubes
50g carrot, cut into 2 cm cubes
50g courgette, cut into 2cm cubes
50g cep, chantarelle or wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
75g butternut squash, cut into 2cm cubes
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
For the white sauce:40g vegan butter
60g plain gluten free flour
300ml unsweetened rice or oat milk
Salt and pepper
25g flaked almonds
50g vegan or goats butter
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp Himalayan salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C
- Peel and chop your celeriac, carrots and butternut squash, drizzle with sunflower oil and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Melt the 20g of butter in a saucepan and gently sauté your garlic, onions and leeks until soft. Next add the courgette and mushroom and continue to sauté until soft.
- In a separate saucepan make a roux by whisking together the 40g of butter and the flour over a gentle heat until a thick paste. Add the warm milk slowly to the roux and keep stirring to combine until completely smooth and you have a creamy sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the root vegetables from the oven and stir through the sauce. Then stir through your onion and garlic mix. Finally add the parsley and season.
- To make your crumble, melt the butter in a pan and mix through the remaining ingredients until you get a lovely textural crumble. Remove from the heat and allow to cool enough so you can squeeze the mixture together with your hands.
- Ladle your creamy vegetables into an oven proof dish and sprinkle the crumble on top to desired thickness.Bake in the oven for 30 mins or until golden brown on top. Serve with blanched green beans and wilted spinach or a large fresh salad.