Serving: 12 | Prep time: 40 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Skill: Tricky
"Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without mince pies, so I set myself a challenge to create a healthy version. Gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. Even if I do say so myself I think I cracked it" Tash x
For The Pastry:60g vegan butter, plus extra for greasing
4tbsp coconut palm sugar
1/2tsp vanilla extract
85g rice flour, plus extra for dusting
50g chickpea flour (gram)
1/4tsp xanthan gum
a pinck of Himalayan pink salt
For The Filling:60g unsweetened dried blueberries
100g unsweetened dried cranberries
finely grated zest of 1 orange
juice of 1/2 an orange
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1tsp ground cinnamon
- First, make the pastry. In a bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix together the flours, xanthan gum and salt. Pour the flour mix into the butter mixture, add the water and use your fingers o mix it together to form a dough. Knead, for a minute and then roll into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put all the ingredients for the filling in a food processor and pulse until you achieve a rough consistency.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170°C and grease a 12 hole muffin tin with vegan butter.
- Dust a work surface with some rice flour and roll out the pastry until 3mm (1/8 in) tick. Using a pastry cutter, stamp out 12 rounds, re-rolling the trimmings and cutting again; keep the remaining pastry aside. Use the rounds to line the base and sides of each muffin 'hole'.
- Fill each pie with 1tbsp of the 'mincemeat' - don't overfill or it will bubble out during cooking.
- With the remaining pastry, roll out to a thickness of 3mm (1/8 inch) and using a shaped cutter (I like to use a heart or star), cut out 12 shapes that will form your pie lids. Place over the filling, pushing the edges of the lids down to beet the bottom pastry rim. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, leave to cool and transfer to a wire rack. Then, dust with some rice flour or agave powder and enjoy while still warm.