Top 10 Anti-Cancer Foods by Laura Bond
A baby born today has a one in two chance of developing cancer in his or her lifetime. While it's tempting to bury your head in the sand there are simple steps you can take to reduce your risk of developing the disease. By choosing healthy food - free from pesticides, herbicides, sugar and acid-forming ingredients - you are taking the first step towards better health. But if you really want to supercharge your attempts to stay healthy - try and add one of the following foods into your diet every day. To help you make these foods part of your daily diet, we have linked each food to an Honestly Healthy recipe for inspiration.
- Broccoli Sprouts - Have been shown to kill the stem cells that cause cancer to come back. Here is a the research.
- Turmeric - Ditto - Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory, anti-oestrogenic and can help protect against radiation. (Watch this video about Turmeric)
- Wheatgrass - This nutrition powerhouse is packed with anti-cancer vitamins, minerals and trace elements including selenium, laetrile and SOD (superoxide dismutase).
- Kale - The risk-lowering benefits of this popular cruciferous vegetable come from the Isothiocyanates (ITCs) it contains.
- Blueberries - In 2010, scientists discovered that blueberries cause programmed cell death in triple negative breast cancer lines.
- Garlic - A National Cancer Institute study carried out in China in 1989 found the areas that used garlic liberally had the lowest rate of stomach cancer.
- Graviola - Substances in this South American fruit may halt tumour growth and stop cancer from developing in the first place.
- Beetroot - The deep red pigment is full of anti-cancer compounds. Beetroot is also known to cleanse the blood, alkalise the body and improve digestion.
- Mushrooms (Reishi, Shiitake, Turkey Tail) - Long renowned for their immune boosting properties these mushrooms are now showing anti-cancer potential in a slew of lab studies. A new $5.4 million research study focusing on Turkey tail mushroom in now underway - funded by the National Institutes of Health in America.
- Brazil nuts - One of the richest sources of selenium. Dr Peter Glidden, a US naturopathic physician, says ' If every girl in the country took 200mcg of selenium in one generation we'd eliminate breast cancer by 82 per cent.' Watch this Video about nuts