Beetroot Buckwheat & Aubergine Salad
Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes | Cooking Skills: Moderate
A lot of people don't know what to do with beetroot juice apart from drink it but I love to cook with it especially in grains it gives them such a wonderful taste. This Mediterranean inspired dish was created after a trip to Turkey and i just love the way they cook their vegetables in a little bit of water in the bottom of the pan as it makes them so melt in the mouth soft. Beetroot is a fantastic source of beta carotene which helps to cleanse the liver and a great source of vitamin
2 cups water
1 cup beetroot juice
1 orange zest and juice
1 tsp vinegar
½ lemon juice
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sumac
1 tbsp cumin
¼ tsp onion seed
¼ cup water
1 tbsp sunflower oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg.
- Slice the aubergine into 1/6th slices. Put into a baking tray and add the cumin, onion seed, ¾ cup of water, sunflower oil and a pinch of salt. Put into the oven for 20 minutes or until aubergine is soft and tender then take out the oven.
- Put the buckwheat, 2 cups water and beetroot juice on the hob on a medium to high heat and leave to cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain the buckwheat but keep the juice that it was cooked in. Pour back into a sauce pan and add the juice of the orange to the rest of the remaining liquid and zest add to the cooked buckwheat to stir in later.
- Add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, ½ lemon juice and a big pinch of salt to the orange juice and beetroot juice and put on a medium heat for 3 minutes to reduce to a thick syrup.
- Roughly chop the parsley and add to the cooked buckwheat with a pinch of sumac, 1 tbsp olive oil and cracked pepper and mix together.
- To serve put a bed of the buckwheat mixture onto a plate and then place the aubergine over the top and drizzle the syrup over.