Quinoa, Teff & Almond Bake
Serves: 6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes | Cooking Skills: Simple
Quite often I find that the best recipes arrive through a mistake; this recipe is one of those. I decided to experiment with teff flour expecting to create a more biscuit-like texture, but in fact ended up with a super-fluffy result, so this recipe became a bake. The mixture can also be used for making muffins – perfect to put into your bag for a post-workout treat or an afternoon pick-me-up. They are also ridiculously healthy – with the whole grains as well as the omega fatty acids in the chia seeds – so your health halo can shine when you make these at home.
Recipe taken from my book Honestly Healthy Cleanse by Natasha Corrett
2 tbsp ground chiaseeds
6 tbsp cold water
130ml warm water
2 tbsp coconut oil
150g almond butter
100g coconut blossom syrup or agave syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
150g teff flour
1 heaped tsp bicarbonate of soda
finely grated zest of 1 orange
30g cacao nibs
1 tsp orange-flower water
raw walnuts and almonds, roughly chopped, for the topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Line a baking dish with baking parchment, or line a
- 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases if you prefer.
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions. Drain and leave to cool in a bowl.
- Soak the ground chia seeds in the measured cold water for 10 minutes until you get a thick gloopy texture.
- Put the warm water, coconut oil, almond butter, syrup, soaked chia seeds, vanilla and cooked quinoa into a blender and blend until fully mixed.
- Sift the teff flour and the bicarbonate of soda into a largish bowl and add the zest and cacao nibs.
- Now, stir in the wet mixture (from the blender) – it will be thick.
- Scoop the mixture into the prepared baking dish, keeping it about 3cm thick. Pop the tray into a preheated oven and bake for 12–15 minutes.
- The bake will be ready when a sharp knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Lift the bake out of the dish, using the parchment to help you, and transfer to a wire rack.
- Sprinkle with the crushed nuts (if using) and drizzle with orange-flower water. Set aside to cool.