Cardamon & Apricot Hot Cross Buns
Serving: 8 | Prep Time: 2 hours | Cooking time: 17 minutes | Skill: Tricky
This is a delicious, nutritious take on a traditional hot cross bun recipe using spelt flour. I wrote this recipe for Women's Health magazine and I loved shooting it as we got to eat so many of them! Remember that spelt does contain gluten, however it's the only gluten grain we use at Honestly Healthy as it's so rich in nutrients and minerals. A lot of people with an intolerance to gluten are fine with spelt as it's picked at a very young grain so doesn't have as much time to ferment. A good tip with this recipe is to make sure the buns have enough time to prove. Make sure the room is warm enough; I normally put the buns under a hot radiator or heater as this will help make them lovely and light.
300g spelt flour
2.5 tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 tsp quick yeast
½ tsp pink salt
2 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp Himalayan salt
70g chopped non-sulphered apricots
5 cardamom pods, crushed
150ml almond milk
25g vegan butter or coconut oil
1 organic free range egg
For the crosses:
50g spelt flour
25g almond milk
- Put the spelt flour, coconut palm sugar, yeast, mixed spice, Himalayan salt, and crushed cardamom into a bowl and mix together.
- Wisk the egg, melted butter, almond milk together and slowly mix into the flour mixture. Fold in the chopped apricots till it becomes a dough mixture
- Put into an oiled bowl and put in a very warm place for 1 hour till it has risen.
- Kneed the dough for 5-7 minutes continuously and then cut into 8 balls.
- Put them on a lined baking tray and leave to prove for another 20-30 minutes in a warm place.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 deg fan
- To make the white crosses mix together the flour and almond milk. Roll the dough into long sausages or pipe.
- Once the balls have risen put some sugared water over the top and put the white crosses over the top.
- Put the buns in the oven for 15 – 17 minutes until golden.
- Brush again with sugared water to make shiny.
- Serve warm or toasted with delicious sugar free jams and spreads.
Shop your Hot Cross Buns in our marketplace: