Vegan Carrot Cupcakes
Serves 12 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 30 minutes | Skill: Moderate
These little parcels of fun are ridiculously tasty. Really light and fluffy, even though they're vegan! There is nothing more pleasurable than getting cosy with a cup of tea and a delicious cupcake. Give these a go and tell us what you think! Tash xxx
2tbsp ground flax or chia seed
6 tbsp water
100ml coconut blossom syrup or agave
60ml melted coconut oil
125ml tinned coconut milk
80g apple purée
70g coconut cream (the cream from the top of tinned coconut milk)
1tsp vanilla essence
zest of 1 lemon
175 grated carrot
140g gluten free flour (Dove's or Bob's Mill are good brands)
100g almond flour
1/2tsp Himalayan salt
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
70g chopped dates
50g chopped pecans
Butter cream icing:
100g coconut yogurt
150g vegan butter
4 tsp powdered agave sugar
½ vanilla pod or ¼ tsp essence
- Pre-heat oven to 175 deg
- Line your muffin tray with cases
- Grind up the chia and flax mix in a spice grinder or blender.
- Weigh out your gluten free flour, almond flour, salt, bicarbonate of soda and xantham gum into one bowl and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, add your ground chia seed to the water, mix and leave to soak for 1-2 minutes until it becomes a thick gloopy texture.
- Mix in the coconut blossom syrup (or agave), coconut milk and apple purée until smooth. Then add the coconut oil - make sure it's no hotter than tepid when you do this.
- Stir in the lemon zest and grated carrot.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet, until they are completely incorporated., before mixing in the chopped dates and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the 12 muffin cases, making sure that the batter reaches the top of the case - approximately 2 heaped tbsp per muffin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until they become a dark brown colour. Test to see if it is cooked with a skewer, which should come out with a little moisture on it; it won't come out completely clean.
- Leave to cool for at least 4 hours, any fewer and the muffins will stick to the paper case and not pull away cleanly (the joys of gluten free vegan baking!).
- Blend together the icing mixture to a creamy texture and smear over the top of each muffin with a pallet knife – sprinkle dried fruit, sesame seeds or chopped nuts over the top.
Shop your Vegan Carrot Cupcake Ingredients in our marketplace: