Kids | Broccoli Pizza
Healthy Mini Pizzas, I make this recipe all the time at home and instead of splitting it into 4 mini pizzas, I often make one big one. You can play around with the toppings and add whatever you or your kids might like. This dough works so incredibly well and takes two seconds to make. Don't be put off by the soaked ground chia - it works amazingly and you will soon realise that is natures' best little cooking secret. If you don't have ground chia you could use ground flax seed instead - both you can whizz up in a good blender to a fine powder.
For The Base:
13g ground chia seeds
¼ cup water
50g ground almonds
½ sprig rosemary
Pinch pink salt and pepper
1.5tsp sunflower oil
For The Sauce:
1.5tsp coconut oil
½ clove garlic
100g vine tomatoes, diced
Pinch yellow mustard seeds
¼ lemon juice
1.5tbsp coconut oil
4g fresh basil
1. Pre-heat oven to 170 deg.
2. Soak the ground chia seeds in the water and put to one side for 10 minutes until it becomes very gloopy.
3. Meanwhile, put your broccoli florets into a food processor and blitz until they are chopped up but not a paste – a little like the texture of rice. Take out and put into a bowl.
4. Add the ground almonds, chopped rosemary, salt and pepper to the bowl with the broccoli and the soaked chia. Mix together with your hands and form into a ball, ready to roll out.
5. Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread 1tbsp of oil over the top - just enough to stop it sticking. Then, put the ball of dough in the middle of the tray and start to push it flat with your hands until it is an even thickness of ½ cm and a nice, round circular shape.
6. Put the pizza base into the oven for 20-30 minutes until the edges start to go golden.
7. To make the tomato sauce, put 1.5tsp coconut oil and the finely chopped garlic in a pan on a medium heat. After 30 seconds, add 1tbsp of water to cool the pan down and add the mustard seeds and leave for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and stir for 1 minute. Once the water starts to absorb, add 1.5tsp of water and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, continuously adding the chopped fresh basil until it becomes a thick sauce. Take off the heat and leave to one side.
8. Take the base out of the oven and spoon over the sauce, leaving about 1 cm around the edge of the pizza.
9. Then, add the toppings of your choice. Here are a few I love:
- Wild field mushrooms & goats cheese (pan fry the mushrooms in coconut oil for 2 minutes before putting on the top)
- Rocket and mozzarella
- Artichoke & black olives with basil