Gluten Free Roasted Tomato + Feta Tart
Serves 4-6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 35 minutes | Skill: Moderate
There is nothing more satisfying than bringing out a beautiful tart that wows the table as its so delicious. This is a great one for the Christmas holidays and parties as its simple to pull together and you can make in advance and even enjoy cold for left overs! Tash x
For the Pastry:
50g coconut flour
100g almond flour
Generous pinch of salt and grind of pepper
4 whole eggs
4 tbsp rice or almond milk
For the Filling:
2 large vine tomatoes (approx. 250g), quartered
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp sunflower oil
Generous pinch of Himalayan salt and grind of black pepper
2 whole eggs
150g goats yoghurt
¼ tsp ground cumin
100g feta cheese
30g of kale or spinach, finely chopped
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
2. Make the pasty by thoroughly mixing the salt and pepper through the coconut and almond flour. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and then add them to the flour mixture. Mix together until you form a wet dough. If it looks too dry, just add a little more rice milk. It should be a wet dough.
3. Using your fingers or a spatular, push the dough into an 8-10 inch tart tin. Push the dough so that it neatly covers the bottom and sides of the tin. You want the dough to be about 0.5 cm thick. If it is too thick it will be very dry. Use the sides of the tin to press off any excess pastry. I always keep any excess pastry to patch up the tart if it cracks during cooking.
4. Blind bake the pastry in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until just beginning to turn golden brown.
5. While the pastry is cooking, combine the tomatoes, garlic and sunflower oil in a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes until the tomatoes are just beginning to soften.
6. Meanwhile, whisk together the salt, pepper, eggs, goats yoghurt and ground cumin and then crumble in the feta cheese. Chop the kale or spinach and then add, stir through the mixture.
7. Remove the pastry from the oven and pour in the yoghurt mixture to the base. Top with the roast tomatoes before returning to the oven to bake through for 20-25 minutes until the custard has set.
8. Serve warm with a fresh green salad.