Mac & Cheese
Serves: 2-3 | cooking time: 30 minutes | Rating: Moderate
"This is simple healthier take on the traditional mac and cheese. Using goats cheese instead of cow’s (it is more alkaline and easier digested) and gluten free pasta. Perfect for one of those days you just need a comforting meal. Serve with a fresh leaf salad on the side." Tash x
25g vegan butter
25g white gluten free flour
300ml rice milk (or dairy free milk)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
125g hard goats cheese
25g hard goats cheese for topping
130g gluten free macaroni pasta or gluten free penne pasta
Pre-heat oven to 175 deg fan
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions and strain and put in a bowl
- On a low heat melt the butter and slowly add the flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Gradually add a quarter of the milk to make a paste.
- Add the remainder of the milk and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Whisk over a medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken. This will take 3-4 minutes.
- Grate the goats cheese and add into the white sauce and stir until melted and thick. The sauce will leave a train when you lift the spoon when cooked. Then take off the heat.
- In a small baking tray pour in the pasta and the sauce over the top and mix in. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the top and put into the oven for 20 minutes until the top goes golden brown.
- Take out and enjoy with a fresh green salad.