Serves 4 | Prep time: 3 minutes | Cooking time: 5 minutes | Setting time 4-5 hours | Skill: Moderate
These are the most sticky delicious toffee apples without the refined sugar. I love to use coconut palm sugar as its packed full of B vitamins and also has the most amazing caramel taste to it. Make sure you don't forget about them in the freezer as the apple will freeze! Tash x
100g coconut palm sugar (Click here to buy from our MARKET LARDER)
2 tbsp vegan butter
1 tbsp date syrup
3 small apples
3 lolly pop sticks
1. In a pan on a low heat melt the coconut palm sugar and water until it becomes a thick liquid (approx 1-2 minutes) Add the vegan butter and date syrup and mix together.
2. Bring to the boil you must bring this to temperature and leave to cook on a high heat for about 2 minutes DO NOT LET IT BURN. Stir to diffuse the bubbles so you can see how thick the mixture is getting.
3. Bring the heat down to a very low heat and stir constantly for 1 minute to allow to thicken up. Take off the heat. You now must work quickly as the toffee will cool and become to thick to work with.
4. Pierce the apples through the core with the lolly pop sticks.
5. Pour the toffee sauce over the top and place each apple onto a piece of baking paper.
6. Sprinkle or roll in chopped nuts or desiccated coconut straight away.
7. Leave to set. This will happen straight away. If it doesn't it means you didn't boil the sugar long enough so you can put in the freezer to set but they will be more chewy than crunchy if this happens... still delicious though!
8. Bite into your sticky toffee apple!