Sweet Potato Teff Muffins
Serves 12 | Prep time 10 minutes | Cooking time 25 minutes | Skill: Easy
"Teff is an amazing gluten free grain that is so great to bake with as it has a fluffy texture which is hard to get when baking gluten free. It has a higher protein content than wheat and is high in fibre. It also has a high mineral content making it a brilliant new baking tool for your healthy desserts." Tash x
120g teff flour
140g gluten free flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
1 tsp xantham
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
200g pre-roasted sweet potato mash (see *)
260ml dairy free milk
100ml sunflower oil
2 organic eggs
80g coconut palm sugar
Garnish – sesame seeds, flaked almonds, any nuts
1. Pre-heat oven to 180 deg
2. Weigh out all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
3. Mash the pre-roasted sweet potato with the dairy free milk so it has no lumps you can put into a food processor or blender to do this. Add the sunflower oil and beat the eggs in. Add the coconut palm sugar to the mixture.
4. Add the dry mixture into the wet until completely combined.
5. Scoop 2-3 heaped tbsp of the mixture into your muffin cases. Make sure they fill up to the top. Repeat until all mixture is finished.
6. Sprinkle your nuts over the top and put into the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes. Check by making sure a skewer or knife comes out clean.
7. Leave to cool on a wire rack and enjoy with a cup of tea
* To make the pre-roasted sweet potato (approx. 350g raw) pre-heat oven to 180 deg and put a whole sweet potato onto a baking tray and in the oven for 50 minutes or until when you put a knife into it its completely soft. Leave to cool and peal the skin off. This is then your mash to use for the recipe.
Shop your ingredients in the Honestly Healthy Marketplace: