American Pancakes with Strawberry Kuzu Compote
"Kuzu is a seaweed that acts like corn flour, so is used as a thickener. It's particularly wonderful because you can’t taste it and it's amazing for your digestion. Kuzu has a chalky consistency and turns to a milky liquid when you add water - have an experiment and see what you can create with it!" Tash x
Makes 8-10 | Prep time – 10 minutes | Cook Time – 10 minutes | Simple
For the Pancakes:
150g gluten free flour
90g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp Himalayan pink salt
1 egg, beaten
300ml coconut milk, or other plant based milk
50ml agave syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sunflower oil
For the Strawberry Kuzu Compote:
150g strawberries, halved
1 tbsp sweetener (agave, rice syrup, honey etc)
2 tbsp water (optional)
- Start by making the kuzu compote. Put the strawberries and water into a pan with the agave (or other syrup). Simmer over a gentle heat for about 5-8 minutes until the strawberries have softened.
- While the sauce is still boiling, whisk in the kuzu and continue to whisk until the compote starts to thicken. Add 2tbsp of water if it looks as though it is too thick. Remove from the heat and set aside while you prepare the pancakes.
- Place the gluten free flour, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl and combine.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg then whisk together with the milk, agave syrup and vanilla extract.
- Mix the wet ingredients with the dry until thoroughly combined.
- Put a large, non-stick pan over a medium heat. Pour in the sunflower oil and using a piece of kitchen towel, spread the oil evenly around the pan.
- When the pan is just hot, spoon a ladleful of the batter into the pan and top with the kuzu compote.
- When the bottom of the pancake is turning golden brown, and the top is beginning to bubble, flip and cook for a further 1-2 minutes on the other side. When golden brown, transfer to a plate and continue with the remainder of the batter.
Shop your Pancake ingredients in the Marketplace: