Broccoli Manchego Bake
My Broccoli Manchego Bake is a must have at the Christmas Dinner table as a wonderfully rich and comforting alternative to the usual boiled broccoli! Try adding blended cashew and nutritional yeast in place of the cheese if you're dairy free. Tash x
1 very large broccoli or two small heads
25g olive oil
25g white gluten free flour
300ml rice milk (or dairy free milk)
1 tsp grated nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 175 degrees fan
- Cut the broccoli florets and blanch in very salty water for 2 minutes then run under cold water.
- On a low heat, melt the oil and slowly add the flour and whisk to make a roux.
- Gradually add a quarter of the milk to make a paste.
- Add the remainder of the milk and stir in the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Whisk over a medium heat until the sauce starts to thicken. This will take 3-4 minutes.
- Grate the goats cheese and add into the white sauce and stir until melted and thick. The sauce will leave a trail when you lift the spoon when cooked. Then take off the heat.
- Transfer the broccoli to an oven dish, pour over the sauce and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes till golden over the top.