Five Minute Granola with Homemade Kefir
Serves - 3-4 portions | Prep time - 24 hours | Cook time - 5 minutes
Kefir is an amazing probiotic and is more potent then chucking back a pill! It helps to heal the gut from stress and toxins which is essential for a healthy body and to support your immune system. Having a small amount each day is a brilliant way to keep your body healthy by promoting your gut garden. Kefir, when cultured, has a slight ‘fizzy ''off'' taste’ but it hasn't gone bad, it's perfect! You can make kefir milk, yoghurt and fizzy kefir drinks by adding to plain water or coconut water. You can also add flavours such as grapefruit and apple to make it into a refreshing 'soda' drink! Tash x
300g sheep’s yogurt, sheep’s, goat’s or coconut milk (tinned)
1 tbsp kefir starter
(use yogurt if you want it really thick – milk will be a loose consistency)
40g puffed rice
20g flaked almonds
20g sunflower seeds
½ tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp coconut blossom syrup, honey or rice syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut oil
- Steralise a glass jar by pouring boiling water into it, rinsing, and leaving to dry naturally.
- Put a quarter of the yogurt or milk into the jar with the kefir starter and stir continuously for two minutes until completely combined.
- Slowly add the rest of the yogurt or milk and stir.
- Place a cheesecloth or kitchen towel over the top of the jar and secure with an elastic band or string.
- Store in a warm place for 12-24 hours (near a radiator is best). Check after 12 hours to see if it is ready. If it is, it will taste slightly sour. If not, replace the 'lid' and leave for longer. The time will change depending on how warm the room is.
- Transfer to the fridge to set for another 7-12 hours.
- Strain the kefir (you will see that the kefir grains have become knobbly, remove these and you can start using them again for another round of kefir-making to keep them alive).
- Your kefir is now ready to use and can be kept refrigerated for 5-7 days.
- To make the granola, simply add all the granola ingredients, apart from the coconut oil, into a bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan and pour in the granola mixture.
- Stir continuously for 3 minutes until it starts to turn golden.
- Watch the pan carefully as it will start to overcook quickly after 3 minutes!
- Transfer to a bowl immediately (if you leave in the pan it will continue to cook and you will end up with burnt granola!).
- Leave to cool until it turns crunchy then serve with the kefir yogurt and some seasonal fruits!