Christmas Beet Wellington
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp organic rape seed oil or sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp tamari
3 tbsp water
180g cooked chestnuts
Salt and pepper
1 egg (for egg wash)
Roll of gluten free puff pastry or normal if you are not gluten free
(You can buy Genius gluten free puff pastry from the frozen section of Sainsbury’s)
- Dice the garlic and thinly slice the leek on an angle, dice the mushrooms and chestnuts as small as you can.
- Grate the beetroot.
- In a frying pan add the oil, cumin, nutmeg and garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the leeks and 3 tbsp water and cook until the leeks are soft.
- Add the mushrooms, chestnuts and tamari and cook on a medium heat for about 6-8 minutes until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add the grated beetroot and a big pinch of salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool for 1 hour. (this is very important otherwise it will be impossible to work with the pastry.
- If you are ready to cook it now then follow the next steps. If you will cook it the next day then roll in clingfilm in the shape of a log and put into the fridge until you are ready to cook in the oven.
- When you are ready to cook it. Place the pastry on a flat surface and put the beetroot filling In a long log shape – the long side of the pastry should be facing you.
- Make sure that the shape of it is even and well compact.
- Beet the egg into a bowl
- Roll the pasty over closing the gap and stick the seem together with a little of the egg wash.
- Close the two ends and put onto a lined baking tray. Put the seem down first.
- If you want to decorate with leaves or something festive like holly then cut the shapes out of the remaining pastry and stick on with the egg wash. Wash the whole log this will make it wonderfully golden brown.
- Put into a pre-heated oven 180C Fan for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with veggie gravy, Roasted carrots, potatoes and greens for the perfect meal!