Middle Eastern Cauliflower Steaks
Serving: 2 | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Skill: Moderate
1 clove garlic sliced
2 tbps sunflower oil
¼ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp cumin seeds
1 lemon juice
large pinch salt
3 tbsp water
½ red onion
100g cavelo nero
250g cooked lentils
1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- Chop the bottom from the cauliflower and slice into 4 thick steaks – try to keep the florets joined together.
- In a large frying pan heat the 1 tbsp sunflower oil, sliced garlic, spices and lemon juice for 1-2 minutes until the garlic starts to sizzle
- Place the steaks into the pan, add the water and cover for 3 minutes until they are soft and there is steam in the pan.
- Remove the lid and leave for another 3 minutes. Then flip the steaks over and leave for another 3 minutes till they are golden brown on both sides. Remove from the heat.
- Thinly slice the red onion and chop the cavelo nero into thin strips. In a separate pan add 1 tbsp. sunflower oil and the red onion.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes until the onion turns translucent. Add the cavelo nero and cook for another minute till it softens.
- Remove from heat and add the lentils and chopped parsley.
- Make the dressing by mixing all ingredients until well combined.
- To serve, add a bed of lentils and cavelo nero with two cauliflower steaks on the top. Drizzle with the dressing and garnish with cracked pepper and sumac.