Roast Artichoke Salad
2 baby artichokes
1 fennel bulb
¼ tsp cumin
1 leek (120g)
3 tsp sesame oil
Pinch pink salt
100g tender-stem broccoli
½ red onion
80g wild salad leaves
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
6 tbsp water
6 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp agave
1 tsp sumac
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare the artichokes by cutting the tops off. Then cut them in half and rub half the lemon on the cut edge immediately (this stops them from going brown). Tear off the harder outer leaves and chop off the stalk. Place into a bowl of cold water with the rest of the lemon squeezed into the water.
- Chop the fennel into half and then each half into 1/6s. Squeeze lemon over them and transfer to a pre-lined baking tray.
- Chop the fennel into 1 cm wide chunks on an angle and put onto the same tray along with the broccoli.
- Drain the artichokes and place onto the same baking tray.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over the top of the vegetables evenly. Sprinkle the cumin over the fennel and leeks. Add a pinch of pink salt to all the vegetables and cracked pepper over the leeks.
- Add the squeezed lemons that have been used onto the baking tray, too.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes.
- On the hob, put the thinly sliced red onions and balsamic vinegar on a medium to high heat. After 1 minute add 3 tbsp of water and leave to simmer again for a further 1 minute. Add the rest of the water and leave for another 2 minutes until they start to dry out. Add 1 tbsp of sunflower oil and leave for another 3 minutes, continuously stirring to prevent burning and sticking.
- After 15 minutes turn the oven off. Remove the artichokes from the oven leaving the rest of the veg in there to stay warm. Heat a griddle pan with a teaspoon of sunflower oil and griddle the artichokes for 3 minutes each side. You can also add 2 pieces of gluten free bread to grill, too.
- Make the dressing by combining all dressing ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
- To serve, pile the vegetables over the top and drizzle with the dressing.