Sumac, Orange and Beetroot on Smashed Butterbeans
Serves 2 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Skill: Simple
½ tsp sumac
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp coriander seeds
2 clove garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
½ inch ginger
2 spring onions
50g green beans
240g cannellini beans (or butterbeans)
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
1. Boil the whole beetroot in hot water until soft enough to put a knife through.
2. Boil another pan of water and put a tbsp. salt into the water. Once at a rolling boil drop the green beans in and cook for 2-3 minutes and run under cold water immediately until cool.
3. Segment the oranges and put to one side.
4. Finely dice the garlic and ginger and put into a bowl with the other marinade ingredients.
5. Peel the beetroot (just rub the skin off with your fingers once boiled) and slice into 1/8 ‘moons’. Add to the bowl with the marinade.
6. Slice the spring onions on an angle and chop the parsley. Add to the cannellini beans. Mash with the back of a fork so the beans become a textured mash and the onion and parsley are combined. Season with salt and pepper and the zest and flesh of one lemon.
7. Add the beetroot and marinade to a frying pan on a medium heat and sauté for 3-4 minutes until the garlic becomes crispy. Thinly slice the chili and add to the pan and take off the heat.
8. Mix the cooked beans and orange segments with the beetroot so the spices evenly coat everything.
9. To serve, place a layer of bean mash on a plate and add the beetroot and orange over the top.
10. Optional garnish: chopped dill.