1. If you haven’t already baked your sweet potato, place into a pre-heated oven at 180C fan for 50 minutes or until cooked and soft all the way through.
2. Slice the garlic and shallots and cut the aubergine into 2cm 'half moons'.
3. In a deep pan sautee the shallots and garlic in the rapeseed oil with the ground ginger for 1-2 minutes until the spices are cooked off. Add the aubergine and coconut milk.
4. Remove the skin of the sweet potato and mash with a fork. Add to the pan and bring the heat down to a low simmer.
5. Add the cardamom pods and leave to cook for 20 minutes with a lid on.
6. Stir frequently to make sure the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom.
7. Add the lime juice and zest and season. Leave for a further 10 minutes until the aubergine is really soft.
8. Add the baby spinach and cook for 1 minute. Add as much chilli as you like, leave the spinach until it wilts and serve the stew by itself or over brown rice.