Serving: 4 | Cooking time: 50 minutes | Skill: Moderate
“Lasagne is possibly one of the most practical dishes out there, this is my healthy twist.” Tash x
Vegetarian Gluten Free Lasagne
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 100g celery
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 600g vine tomatoes chopped
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g carrots
- 80g beetroot
- 70g brown lentils
- 1 piece of kombu seaweed
- 2.5 cups of water
- Gluten-free lasagne sheets
FOR THE WHITE SAUCE:
- 1.5 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp gluten-free flour
- 100ml rice milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- pinch pepper
- ½ lemon juice
- In a large pan sauté the onion, chopped garlic, cumin and fenugreek seeds in the sunflower oil for 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the celery, tamari and ½ cup water and leave for another 3 minutes to simmer. Next, add your chopped tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf and 1 cup of water and leave to simmer for around 7 minutes - the tomatoes can be roughly chopped as they will turn into your sauce.
- Chop your carrots and beetroot into 1cm pieces and add to the pan with the brown lentils and your kombu (the kombu is to help break down the enzymes in the lentils that cause bloating and wind – however, this is not essential to the recipe)
- After 10 minutes add ½ cup water and leave for another 15 minutes to simmer while the lentils cook and the sauce begins to reduce.
- Take off the heat and set aside (if you don’t want to eat it straight away and want to make it for dinner the next day stop here and do the rest before you are ready to serve).
- Preheat the oven to a 175°C fan.
- Make the white sauce by melting the butter over medium heat and gently whisking in the flour for about 2 minutes to make a roux - careful not to let it burn. Next, slowly start to add the rice milk to the roux, whisking all the time so it doesn’t go lumpy.
- Add the nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and lemon juice and mix together – it will be a thick consistency.
- In an ovenproof dish approx 8inch start the layering process. First layer the lentil filling then spoon a layer of white sauce over the top then a layer of gluten-free pasta and then the white sauce again. Repeat this until you have no more and you are at the top of the dish.
- You can add cheese to the top if you are not vegan.
- Put into the oven for 25-30 minutes until brown on the top and starting to bubble over.
- Serve with a delicious vibrant leafy salad.