Serves: 2 | Prep time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes | Cooking Skills: Moderate
I created this recipe which is my ever favourite one and is all about millet – the wonder grain. Really delicious and nutty it’s a wonderful gluten-free alternative to quinoa or rice. This dish will wow the dinner guests for sure.
Millet Rainbow Salad
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 170g green beans
- 90g millet
- 60g frozen garden peas
- 150g frozen podded edamame
- ½ lemon & zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pink salt
- 10g parsley
- 10g dill
- 1 tsp brown rice vinegar
- 1tsp sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven 170 deg
- De-seed the peppers and cut them into quarters and put onto a baking tray with sunflower oil and a pinch of pink salt. Cook for 25 minutes or until soft.
- Cook the millet in 3 times the amount of water for 20 minutes. Drain the water through a sieve and then wash through with cold water until the millet cools down. Leave to strain the cold water and put into a bowl.
- Bring a pan of water with 2 tbsp salt to the boil and drop the edamame beans and peas in for 1 minute – sieve out (do not throw the water out) bring to the boil again and then drop the green beans in for 2-3 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. (this way of cooking them makes them super green and nutritious)
- In a blender put half of the peas and edamame beans and half the parsley and dill with lemon juice, pinch salt, brown rice vinegar and olive oil. Blend until a chucky texture.
- Take out the blender and mix in the rest of the peas, edamame beans, dill and parsley.
- Assemble the salad by mixing the millet through the pea and edamame mixture and mix in the roasted red peppers and green beans.
- Serve with a sprinkle of sesame seeds over the top.