Have you ever tried honey glazed carrots? If yes or no, these healthy glazed carrots with honey are easy to make recipe that elevates the humble carrot to a sweet and delicious side dish you are looking for.
There aren’t too many vegetables that are as versatile as carrots. I never miss the chance to add a carrot to almost every winter soup or pot, but still, we hardly give them the central role on the table. This was before we found how different, sweet and deep could be the taste of the fresh baby carrots, glazed with honey and a dash of balsamic vinegar. We enjoyed this simple and fast healthy glazed carrots side dish with a slow-roasted pork shoulder, but I believe these glazed cuties could be served alongside every roasted meat or poultry.
As a base, we used a recipe we saw in one of our new cookbooks – French food and cooking (a real treasure we’ve only begun to explore!) – but we really made them, using what we had in the fridge. The result, although totally different, was a satisfying and glowing healthy glazed carrots with honey we liked very much.
Healthy Glazed Carrots With Honey
- 1pound (or around 500g) baby carrots*, well-scrubbed
- 1 tbsp (15g) butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt to taste
- In a large heavy frying pan with a lid melt the butter over medium heat. Place drained and pat-dried carrots in a single layer, toss to coat and cook for about a minute in butter.
- Add the chopped garlic, honey and balsamic vinegar. Stir well, and cook for another minute or so (until the smell of the vinegar is evaporated).
- Pour over the hot stock, place lid on the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables begin to soften, shaking the pan occasionally. Add some more liquid, if needed (we prefer our carrots with a slight crunch, and this amount of stock was just enough for us).
- Uncover the pan and cook for 3-4 more minutes, until the liquid turns syrupy. Try and add some salt, if needed. Toss carefully to coat the carrots with glaze.
- Serve healthy glazed carrots with honey hot, sprinkled with the chopped fresh parsley.